Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Another Setback

During the summer, I was doing my little "walk-run" thing about 5 days a week. I was changing the way I saw myself. In doing that, I found that the way I looked at food was also changing. However, it wasn't quite enough. I was so excited when I hit my first 20 lb weight loss! And yet, that wasn't enough, either.

After another emotional blow, I found myself beginning to gain back the weight I had just lost. Slowly this time, but it was happening. I quit going out to run. I started drinking Pepsi again like it was going out of style.

I don't know why I always do this. I don't know what it is that causes me to feel the way I do about myself, but I have always been able to tell the level of my mental health by my ratio of water to Pepsi, or in this case... Pepsi to water. During this time, I received a call from a friend of mine who said she had a timeshare condo that her family wasn't going to be able to use and offered us an opportunity to use it. I was so excited to be able to do that. I went to her office to pick up the keys as we were on our way out of town. Sitting in her office was a girl who was trying to talk my friend into signing up for a "Biggest Loser"-type competition that they were doing locally. My friend said, "THIS is who you need to talk to! Shelby is always out running! She's your girl." I laughed and said that I probably should do something like this, but I probably wouldn't. But I took her little flyer and the keys and went on my way.

Our little vacation away was lovely! It was just what I needed on so many levels. However, while we were there, my kids wanted to take a little hike. It was VERY little because I got so winded I thought I would die. The second day, we went to play tennis. I couldn't keep up with them. This was really upsetting to me! I have always been athletic. I have always been able to play and enjoy, but here, with my kids, I couldn't do something simple.

I went home and looked at that flyer over and over again. I finally called the number on it and asked for information. Then, I called my sister and asked her if she would sign up with me if I decided to do it. She said she would, so... I was committed. :) Funny how a little bit of encouragement from the people you love will help you accomplish things, (or guilt you into doing them! :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment